President: Cathy Linowski
- Faculty, Medicine Hat College teaching in the areas of Biology, and Environmental Science. Undergraduate and post-graduate studies completed at Simon Fraser University. Coordinator MHC Environmental Reclamation programs.
- Formerly: Plant Disease Diagnostics and Horticultural Extension, Alberta Agriculture
- Cathy has been a member of board of Praxis for 7 years. Prior to moving to Medicine Hat in 1999, Cathy was an active volunteer in the Brooks schools including assisting with the Science Fair and organizing Science Olympics. She has been a regular mentor in Operation Minerva, mentor and judge for Science Fair and teaching summer science camps at MHC. Cathy is actively involved with promotion of environmental education through the organization of events such as Green Week and Environment Week in Medicine Hat. She is also involved with ongoing research in regards to rare and endangered plants as part of the Alberta Native Plant Council and Environment Canada. Cathy is a avid horticulturalist and teaches gardening classes throughout southern Alberta. Cathy, and her husband enjoy hiking, photography, kayaking and camping.
Vice-President: Karen Saffran
- B.Sc. (Zoology) University of Alberta
- M.Sc. (Aquatic Ecology) University of Waterloo
- Karen is a member of the Alberta Society of Professional Biologists and has been a board member of Praxis since 2007. Before moving to Medicine Hat in 2003, she worked in Edmonton for Alberta Environment as a Limnologist/ Surface Water Quality Specialist and has since done contract work for the Oldman River Basin Water Quality Initiative (now the Oldman Watershed Council) and for Alberta Environment (Bow River Biomonitoring Pilot Project). Her current biological endeavours include raising 3 young children.
Secretary: Brian Sabiston
- Currently : Retired External Relations/Business Development Officer ~ DRDC Suffield
Formerly :Deputy Director General ~ DRDC Toronto
B.A. University of British Columbia (Victoria College) Zoology
M.Sc. University of Western Ontario Physiology
Ph.D. University of Toronto Clinical BioChemistry/Immunology
- Born and educated in Victoria, B.C., Dr. Sabiston joined the Defence Research Board in Toronto in 1967 and for several years pursued research in the field of environmental stress, trauma, and their effects on the immune system. His career has taken him from the High Canadian Arctic and as far south as the African Congo. He has filled several positions within Defence Research & Development Canada, including National Defence Headquarters, DRDC Toronto, and now, DRDC Suffield.
Treasurer: Susan Rowsell
- B.Sc. Cellular, Molecular, and Microbial Biology, University of Calgary
- M.E.Des. Environmental Science, University of Calgary
M.Sc. Environmental Engineering, University of Calgary
- Susan is currently a biologist at Defence R&D Canada Suffield. Susan is actively involved with Science Fair and as of September 2012 she chairs this Praxis sub-committee.
Susan joined Praxis in 2011.
Past President: Gary McFarlane
- Retired teacher (Medicine Hat High School, Alexandra Junior High School, River Heights Elementary, and Borgu Secondary School - Nigeria) but also worked briefly for the Canadian Wildlife service and for a private company as a field biologist in the Yukon and NWT.
- B.Sc. (Zoology), Professional Diploma in Education
- Founding member of Praxis. Prime Minister's Award for Teaching Excellence in Science, Technology and Mathematics (1993). Other involvement and interests: Koi ponds, Palliser Friends of Medicare board member, Cinema Politica board member. Interested in social media as a tool for science education (especially Twitter @GaryM)
- Currently : Grade 2 French Immersion teacher at Connaught School